I spent summer 2020 on an internship at Amazon Alexa, where I worked on Reinforcement Learning for Controllable Abstractive Summarization. I also spent a summer working at Adobe Research’s NLP Group. My work resulted in an EMNLP 2020 Findings long paper, and we filed a patent for our Label Attention Layer. I am thankful for research funding from Adobe Research.
I received my Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees in Computer Science from the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), in Switzerland. As part of my Bachelor’s, I spent a year on exchange at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University. I interned for a summer at Infosys in their Bangalore, India headquarters, and for a semester at the EPFL-based Swisscom Digital Lab.
My research interests are in Natural Language Processing and Deep Learning. More precisely, I work on Generalization and Interpretability for Learned Text Embeddings. I want to develop interpretable neural models – with applications in document classification, parsing, etc. – and make them generalizable to a wider range of applications and environments.
- September: “Rethinking Self-Attention: Towards Interpretability for Neural Parsing”
Khalil Mrini, Franck Dernoncourt, Quan Tran, Trung Bui, Walter Chang, and Ndapa Nakashole.
Long paper accepted to EMNLP 2020 (Findings)
Scores: 4, 4, 3.5 out of 5.
- July: Attending ACL 2020, online, thanks to a Diversity and Inclusion award.
- June: Excited to start a summer internship with Amazon Alexa! I visited their beautiful Seattle office in January, but due to COVID-19, this internship will be entirely remote.
- May: Check out our updated work with Adobe Research on the Label Attention Layer!
- April: Attending ICLR 2020, online, thanks to a Diversity and Inclusion award.
- March: Member of the ICML 2020 Program Committee.
- March: Patent with Adobe Research successfully filed for our Label Attention Layer!
- February: Member of the ACL 2020 Program Committee.
- February: “Voice-Based Conversational Agents for Older Adults”
Janet Johnson, Khalil Mrini, Michael Hogarth, Alison Moore, Ndapa Nakashole, Nadir Weibel, and Emilia Farcas.
Accepted to the CHI 2020 Workshop “Conversational Agents for Health and Wellbeing” in Honolulu, HI.
- February: “Using HCI to Tackle Race and Gender Bias in ADHD Diagnosis”
Naba Rizvi, and Khalil Mrini.
Accepted to the CHI 2020 Workshop “Engaging in Race in HCI” in Honolulu, HI.
- January: Excited to start collaborating on the NIH-funded VOLI research project!
- November: Establishing a new State of the Art in Constituency and Dependency Parsing! Check out our work with Adobe Research.
- October: Thankful for a great experience at Adobe Research, and glad to continue the collaboration at UCSD!
- September: Participating with Adobe Research in the SoCal NLP Symposium in Los Angeles, CA.
- June: Excited to start a summer internship at Adobe Research in their San Jose HQ!
- June: Attending ICML 2019 in Long Beach, CA.
- May: Check out our live demo for our SwissText Chatbot!
- February: Check out our work on improving Document Classification using Tree-LSTMs!
- September: Joining the UCSD NLP Group!